Saturday 23 June 2012

My Gobi Manchurian Story . [Spicy Indo - Chinese Couliflower fry , Step by step with pictures ]

Hey you guys :) 

How is the weekend coming along ? Today I made Gobi Manchuri . Gobi Manchuri has been my favourite  " Indo-Chini bhai bahi "  snack for a long time now . I have made so many "yummy" memories associated with it down the years. 

When , I was in second year engineering , I remember having really boring electronics subjects , head and tail of which I can't make out till this day ! Me and friend would always bunk classes post the short break ( 10 : 30 am :P ) and go sit in the canteen and eat gobi manchuri . We were his most regular customers and he would keep two plate gobi "majoori" ready for us every day . We almost flunked that year due to our lack of attendance in class . Phew , that was a close call !! And at the end of that year I ended up looking like gobi .. well that's another story altogether :P and I will save it for another day. 

So lets get with it then . You will need : 

  • One medium sized couliflower . 
  • Haldi ( Turmeric ) - 1/2 tsp.
  • Salt - according to taste .
  • Chilli powder - to taste .
  • Cornflour - 6-8 tbsp .
  • Garlic - 10 pods , juliennes. 
  • Ginger - 1 small piece , juliennes . 
  • Green chillies - 1 long , finely chopped . 
  • Oil - 1 medium , finely chopped . 
  • Oil - for frying . 
  • Soy Sauce - 1 tbsp. 
  • Tomato Ketchup - 1 tbsp. 
Well I am not sure how much Chinese flavor our "Indian" gobi manchurian has retained over the years , but whatever it is , we love it , don't we ?



So , first we must separate the florets from the cauliflower and set them aside . 

In a pan boil water and add a pinch of turmeric powder and salt . When , the water is hot add the florets & let them boil for five minutes . This cleans the florets really well . 



Drain the thoroughly cleaned florets through a strainer.


In a clean bowl add a cleaned florets and 4 tbsp of cornflour , salt and chilli powder and mix well . The florets will lap up this mixture well as they are already wet . However , if need be you can add slightly more water to bind all of this together . 


 In a wok , heat oil & fry these florets , strain and keep aside . 


 In another bowl , put 2 tbsp cornflour , 1/2 tsp salt , 1/2 tsp chilli powder and make a thin batter out of this . When , mixed well , add 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tbsp tomato ketchup . 


 
 In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil and put the ginger , garlic jullianes and the chopped onions and fry them till onions turn light brown . * dont burn them :P * . 


Now , add the cornflour batter prepared above to the wok and keep stirring . When this mixture starts thickening , add the florets and mix them well and make sure to coat all the florets well . 


Cook for five minutes on a low flame . Sprinkle finley with chopped coriander and enjoy :) :) .


Check out my lil sister having a go at this yummy dish .

:)

:P :P :P :P .

What is your favorite dish ? Please go ahead and try this simple dish and let me know , how you enjoyed it :) .
Have a happy Sunday . :)

Oh , yes please follow me for more yummy recipes :) .

Cheers

Khaddu ,
XOXOXO



8 comments:

  1. Hi Supi , yes its simple and super yummy :) :) . You must try ... and let me know how it turned out ??

    So what s your favourite cuisine ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi.. i love it wen u call me supi... ahh another additio to my already long list of nicknames given by frnds...
    my fav coisine is indian specially all the road side items (i love making them at home) and a limited items in chinese... i love noodles and fried rice.. whats ur fav cuisine??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SUPI .... :) hee hee hee .. what are ur other pet names ??

      I love Indian too and italian . and road side chats toh uff ... i can live my whole life on that . I think I should get married to some hotel wala / chef etc ... bas mujhe toh khane se hi prem hho gaya hai :) :P :P ... ! :)

      Delete
  3. nd yes i would definitely want to "And at the end of that year I ended up looking like gobi .." wala story of yours...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha .. yes surely I will tell you that story one of these days :) !!!

      Delete
  4. this looks great :) u should post more recipes :)
    -Poorva

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poo :) .... yea its yummy too :) yea i defnitely will try and post more stuff ! :)

    ReplyDelete